Sunday, January 4, 2009

A Little Love Up On the Shelf



When I was a little girl, I had a collection of seashells. I lived in a city in Vermont. I'd only been to the ocean, Cape Cod, once. My grandmother lived in Florida, and occasionally she'd send me shells she picked up off the beach. I didn't have a huge connection to the sea, but for whatever reason, those shells were my treasures. And guess what? I still have some of them in a shoebox in my closet. I really should put them out somewhere.

I'd like to be a collector, but I don't really have the space. But I do love to decorate (wherever I can find the space) with special objects, things that are personal and meaningful. For Christmas this year, my husband and I received two beautiful dog statues created by the artist Jim Shore. One, a yellow retriever with a folksy quilted pattern that represents our old dog, Hudson. The other is a terrier type dog, as close as you can get to our mixed-breed Kelly. We cleared off a space on top of a bookshelf to display the dogs, and then added a third dog, a dalmatian to represent Schuyler, our first dog. We really enjoy seeing these statues up on the shelf and reminding us of the dogs in our life.

Do you have a special collection? Something to represent your love of dogs, or otherwise? I'd love to hear!


Paws for Reflection: Beautify your work space with a collection of something that makes you feel good. It may be photographs of family, seashells from a trip to the beach, or notes written by your children.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE your dog statues - I just ordered the German Shepherd and pug - I'll send you the bill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe see what a little suggestive selling can do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a quilt i made to remember some of the dogs in our life and periodically I have it hanging in the living room .As I only have one available spot I rotate the quilts.The dof one says"Dogs do go to Heaven" and has angel dogs appliqued plus photos of our many dogs.

    ReplyDelete

Kelly and Ike say thank you for your comments!

ShareThis