Thursday, July 15, 2010

Blog the Change-- Grey Muzzles and Love

I'm so excited to be part of the Be the Change for Animals blog day event! This active group is all about helping animals, providing a platform to spread the voice of animal advocates and people just like you and me, who love animals. We can make a difference.

The idea of Blog the Change Days is to promote a cause in need, announce a new commitment to help animals, and inspire others to join us.

I often think of our yellow lab, Hudson, when he was a puppy...rolly poly body, chubby little legs, sweet breath, a ball of yellow energy. I also think of Hudson as a senior citizen, graying muzzle, heavy body, slow gate. And oh, those eyes that reflected everything he'd been through...running in the yard, swimming in the lake, happiness, and unfortunately in his older years, pain. How I wanted his senior years to be just as happy as his puppy years.

That is why I've selected The Grey Muzzle Organization as my Blog the Change cause. We all know that cute, cuddly puppies are adopted first in shelters. I know it is hard to give your heart to a senior dog who may not have as many years left to share with you. But these senior dogs deserve a loving home. The Grey Muzzle Organization works to improve the lives of senior dogs by funding programs such as hospice care, senior dog adoption, medical screening and other special programs to help old dogs at animal welfare organizations across the country.

* Senior dogs may be abandoned because owners are unable or unwilling to provide for their medical needs.

* Well-loved senior dogs may become homeless when their senior person moves to assisted living facilities.

* Some senior dogs have lived all their lives in abusive situations, or have lived in shelters for years and are deemed unadoptable because of their age.

But we can help! Volunteering, donating or spreading the word are some of the ways you can help senior dogs live out their lives with love and care. In addition, please copy this message and Tweet or post to your website, blog, Facebook or other social site:

Old friends are the best. Help senior dogs in need. Visit The Grey Muzzle Organization http://tinyurl.com/2eeptjr

Thank you! And Be the Change for Animals!


23 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's a great cause, Peggy.

Maggie said...

What a great cause to highlight, Peggy! I hadn't heard of them before, but I'm definitely going to check out their organization.

road-dog-tales said...

Hi! Found you on the Be the Change Blog Hop! What a great cause! We'll go check it out!
The Road Dogs

Peggy Frezon said...

Thank you Maggie. Road Dog, nice to meet you on this blog hop day!

Two Little Cavaliers said...

Stopping by with Be the Change for Animals. Thank you for all you do to help animals in need. Hope you will be able to visit us too.

Felissa, Davinia, and Indiana
www.twolittlecavaliers.blogspot.com

Marcoblue, Midnight Rainbow and the Paws said...

Thank you for visiting the 24 Paws of Love. What a great cause, Be the Change. It is so true how older dogs are looked over for adoption and still need all love and care. We'll check it out.

Peggy Frezon said...

Thank you Alex, and Two Little Cavaliers for stopping by! And thank you to all 24 Paws for checking out the Grey Muzzle site too!

Shauna (Fido & Wino | R.O.A.R. Squad) said...

Such a great thing to remember! Thank you for reminding us :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

And an older dog doesn't have to be paper trained!

The Thundering Herd said...

What a terrific cause. I always joke that someday I am going to start a Senior Siberian (Husky) Sanctuary. So many older dogs just need a little love.

Life With 5 Dogs said...

What a Great Cause! We are now following you. Thanks for Blogging for a cause.

Pup Fan said...

Found you through the Blog Hop - this is a great cause to highlight!

Mr. Pip said...

What an amazing cause! As a senior dog myself this really hits home!

I am your newest follower. Hope you will stop by my blog as well!

Your pal, Pip

Peggy Frezon said...

Thank you Life with 5 Dogs for following us. Kelly looks forward to learning more about your gang too!

Peggy Frezon said...

Thank you Mr. Pip. At 9, I guess Kelly is a "young" senior. You senior pups have to stick together!

Ashley (Pru's mom) said...

Aw! What a great cause to promote. Older dogs have such a soft spot in my heart. My grandparents' neighbor has an older lab and I always make sure I bring some extra treats for him when I visit.

Stephen Tremp said...

Great cause. Love it. Yeah, I really love animals. Most of my Facebook pictures of me are animals. A monkey typing at a laptop is my favorite.

Stephen Tremp

Peggy Frezon said...

Aww Ashley, I'm sure that lab loves your extra attention.

Thanks for the comment Stephen, do you have any pets?

Patricia Stoltey said...

My brother adopted a black Scottie that was an older rescue dog. Our lives were made so much better when Danny joined the family.

Deborah Flick said...

I love this. Old dogs are so full of heart. Thank you for the link to Grey Muzzles.

BodieP said...

What a wonderful organization--I'm going to check for a local chapter.

BtC4animals said...

Hi Peggy,

As you know, senior dogs are near and dear to my heart, and Grey Muzzles sounds like a terrific organization! I'm off to learn more about them.

Thanks for Blogging the Change!
Kim (and Amy by Proxy)

Two Little Cavaliers said...

Stopping by with Be the Change for Animals. Thank you for all you do to help animals in need. Hope you will be able to visit us too.

Felissa, Davinia, and Indiana
www.twolittlecavaliers.blogspot.com

ShareThis