Friday, September 10, 2010

Is Your Dog Amazing Too?

The way Kelly sits, with all four legs brilliantly in the right places--amazing. And the way she sleeps, either on her stomach, or back--also impressive. Okay, so I'm just kidding a bit. But I do find practically everything about dogs amazing. They are pretty much the most perfect animal.

So I had to check it out when Vet Tech.org sent me 50 Amazing Facts About Dogs. Here are some of my favorites:

* Different dogs dig holes for different reasons.
Digging holes is a common bad habit amongst canines, but every individual has a different origin. 2 of the more popular reasons why dogs start ripping up the dirt are sheer boredom and attempting to escape, either to find a mate or an adventure.

* Dogs don't understand when we point.
Most dogs do not comprehend the concept of pointing. Rather than following the finger to the person, place or thing indicated, they will stare at the fingertip and wonder what’s going on.

* Dogs are capable of dreaming.
Rapid eye movement – an observable phenomenon for curious owners – does occur in dogs, making it entirely likely that they undergo their own unique dream experiences.


* The 2 most common dog names begin with the letter M.
“Maggie” for females, and “Max” for males. Other popular names include Jake, Molly, Buddy, Lady, Bailey, Sadie, Sam and Lucy.


* The Americans and French own the most dogs.
In both France and the United States, dogs reign supreme as pets, with about 1 out of every 3 households owning one or more. Switzerland and Germany keep the least amount of pet dogs – only 1 in every 10 homes keeps a pet pooch.

* Dogs aren’t colorblind.
In actuality, dogs are capable of perceiving and processing color – just in a very rudimentary manner akin to a human’s vision during the twilight hours.

* Talking to pet dogs is a very common practice.
According to the American Animal Hospital Association, 33% of dog owners have admitted to talking to their pets. The actual number probably sits much higher than this, however.

What about you? What is something amazing about your dog?

(p.s. Don't forget you can still enter to win a free book, A Dog's Purpose, until Sunday at 5pm. Just leave a comment on this past Wednesday's blog post! Good luck!)

17 comments:

jen said...

Kelly is so darn cute!

I didn't know thcat fact about digging, very interesting, I thought they were just trying to find something:)

I love to watch the boys sit out and the yard. I always wonder what they are thinking.

jet said...

Pretty sure my dogs know what I mean when I point. I can send them in the direction of my finger! I have had a dog called Sam and one called lucy!

Priscilla said...

Thanks for sharing the facts! I talk a lot to Eva and Mika and I can assure you that they understand me very well! Aren't dogs clever???

Gloria said...

Yep! Dogs are very smart! Billy poke at my hand when he wants to be petted! I just can't imaging a world without dogs! By the way, your pup is very beautiful!!!

Peggy Frezon said...

Hey Jen, Kelly says thanks! Kelly is a digger too, usually she digs to make a nice comfy indentation to nap in.

Peggy Frezon said...

Jet, your dogs are very smart. I totally agree, dogs are smart and can learn this. Kelly, however, wouldn't go to where I pointed even if I drew her a map!

Peggy Frezon said...

Thanks Priscilla. It's nice when we are in tune with our dogs. My lab could understand "Go get a toy." and would go off and bring one back. They sure are clever!

Peggy Frezon said...

Gloria, Kelly thanks you for the compliment! I'm sure when Billy pokes you for a pat, you happily oblige!

Frankie Furter said...

My MOM says Everything I do is Brilliant.
Now about that hole digging thingy.. you furgot to mention... Digging to get at... groundmoles.. and Chipmunks... two of my most favorite thingys to do!!

The Teacher's Pets said...

Hello Peggy,
As you already know (because you visited my blog today), our Miss Daisy the coonhound is tree climber. Well, I exaggerate, she has almost mastered the art of tree climbing and when the big moment arrives when she reaches the highest limb, I will video taping it!
Your dog is very beautiful and she looks so regal too!
Very nice post....great info!

Chewy said...

Aww that is a great post. I sometime dream too and my momma says that i bark sometimes in my sleep.

Chewy

Karen Friesecke said...

Jersey is amazing - at being the laziest Vizsla I have ever seen!

Marg said...

Kelly you look terrific sitting there so perfect. Those are interesting doggie fact. My dogs dig holes to get to the cooler ground. My Border collie does know what I mean when I point. In doggie school, the dogs had to go away from us and go around a chair and my dog did it. I do talk to the dogs and they love it.
Great stuff. Have a great week end.

Marg said...

Kelly you look terrific sitting there so perfect. Those are interesting doggie fact. My dogs dig holes to get to the cooler ground. My Border collie does know what I mean when I point. In doggie school, the dogs had to go away from us and go around a chair and my dog did it. I do talk to the dogs and they love it.
Great stuff. Have a great week end.

FiveSibesMom said...

Great article! Yes, I certainly do find my Sibes amazing every day! I feel so blessed and lucky to have them in my life. They make me a better person! I agree they dream - and sometimes they have Silly Sibe smiles in their sleep while they do!

Donna1264 said...

I am proudly owned by an almost 4 year old Australian Shepherd blue merle aptly named 'Purdy'. We adopted her from a farmer here in AZ. We brought her home at just about 8 weeks of age and the first night she was in our house she promptly slept in front of our daughter's closed bedroom door, without us telling her to. She adores our daughter (who at the time had just turned 4 years old). She (Purdy) constantly nipped at Carli's heels trying to herd her to safety until they were both older and much wiser and more familiar with our then new surroundings. I believe Purdy has become the quintessential guard dog and loving family member. I honestly don't know what we would do without her or how different our lives would be were it not for her. She is comedic and loving, patient and kind. She adores her 'daddy' and now when Carli comes home from school, will greet her at the door with a smile and a hug (yes, she actually stands up on her back feet and hugs our daughter!) Anyway, I believe all animals are a gift from God and we are blessed when an animal joins our family.

FiveSibesMom said...

Great article! Yes, I certainly do find my Sibes amazing every day! I feel so blessed and lucky to have them in my life. They make me a better person! I agree they dream - and sometimes they have Silly Sibe smiles in their sleep while they do!

ShareThis