Monday, March 7, 2011

This Dog Food is Off the Hook!

Would your dog like the taste of raw, wild Alaskan salmon and raw, naturally raised beef as well as organic cranberries, spinach, broccoli and beets? Kelly recently sampled this, in Stella & Chewy's new Surf 'N Turf freeze-dried dinner, a sample bag kindly provided to us by Stella & Chewy's.

The food comes in medium-sized, round patties. You can add water to reconstitute, or use as is.

When I opened the bag, it smelled clearly of fish; a flavor Kelly isn't familiar with, but she was attracted to right away.

The inspiration for Stella & Chewy's frozen and freeze-dried dinners arose when Marie Moody rescued Chewy from an animal shelter. Chewy had serious health problems. After Marie began feeding him a natural, raw diet, Chewy (along with his pal Stella) thrived.

There is no doubt that Kelly loved this meal. I tried the food both reconstituted and dehydrated, and Kelly enjoyed it both ways.

Best of all, check this out. Stella and Chewy's:
is free of grain.
is free of fillers.
is free of artificial p
reservatives or colorings.
uses raw, natural meat, poultry or fish from USDA-inspected facilities.
uses organic fruits and vegetables.
uses products without added hormones or antibiotics.
is produced
with SecureByNature(TM) technology--designed to eliminate threat of harmful bacteria, while retaining the food's nutrient value and flavor.
is tested by an indepen
dent laboratory before packaging.

A 6oz bag contains about 12 patties and costs approximately $11.99. For very small dogs, feeding recommendations is 2 patties/day. For a dog Kelly's size, feeding recommendations is 8. I would find this cost prohibitive on my budget. However, instructions suggest larger dogs use as a mixer or topper for dry food.

** Kelly gives this product 4 paws up, and a happy tail wag too.


  1. It sounds very nutritious and yummy but I think it's a bit too pricey for us. Thanks for telling us about this product. Lucky Kelly!!!

  2. I'm sure Billy would like it as he seems to enjoy any kind of fish.

  3. I think that would be delicious, butt needs to come down a bit in price for most of us to use as our total diet. Excellent treat though.

  4. The Newfs would love this! Thanks for sharing!

  5. Spinach, broccoli, beets, cranberries? Can't go wrong with the ingredients as long as the smell of meat is there for them.

  6. Ooooh I has nevers seen dis befores. I knows I would loves and to be honest, I can be a little picky...shocking I know.


  7. Yep, that's why we don't eat the raw stuff for cats...lots of green papers. That was a great review though!

  8. We'll take Salmon any day. Those parties sound good
    Benny & Lily

  9. Sounds interesting, but Indy gets home-cooked chow.


  10. We're currently feeding a salmon based product as well. I love how it has changed Shiva's coat, it is so super shiny and all of her little skin irritations seem to have disappeared. This food you found sounds amazing. It's understandable it would be more expensive. It's all about priorities and figuring out what works best for you.

  11. That sounds very good! We couldn't afford it though but we are sure Holly would love it! Lots of love, Debbie and Holly

  12. the ingredient list! I agree, it seems pricey, but sounds like it could be a great supplement.

  13. we are always cautious about mixing kibbles and raw, but these certainly look delicious and we love the ingredient list. If we were feeding raw, I daresay we'd try it!

  14. Personally, i would LOVE to have some "raw, wild Alaskan salmon and raw, naturally raised beef as well as organic cranberries, spinach, broccoli and beets" for MY dinner.

    Stella and Chewy are 2 lucky dogs :)

  15. That food sounds wonderful! I'm glad Kelly got to sample it!

  16. Enjoy reading your blog and am passing along the Styler Blogger award. Come by and pick it up! Congrats!

  17. Yummm...sounds like something the Sibes could really sink their teeth into! Thanks for the info!

  18. @chunyoscorner Thank you so much for our award! For some reason I couldn't get signed in to wordpress on your blog to leave a comment, so I hope you'll see it here! Hugs!

  19. Love Stella & Chewy's foods! Thanks for the review - Tashi always licks his lips when he gets this product, and though I do home cook for him I like to also include this version of raw in my rotation!

  20. I'm not sure exactly why but this website is loading very slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a issue on my end? I'll check back later and see if the problem still exists.

    Also visit my website Air Max 90


Kelly and Ike say thank you for your comments!