Thursday, May 26, 2011

Natural Flea and Tick Repellent-- What's the Buzz?

Kwit Yer Itchin' Week continues with What's the Buzz-- a look at a natural insect repellent.
What if you could spritz your dog with something safe...and effective? Earthheart inc has created a natural insect repellent that claims to be just that. Buzz Guard is safe for both humans and dogs, and you can spray directly onto clothing, skin or fur. I tried Buzz Guard on Kelly and was pleased to find that a light spritzing wasn't heavy or messy. Outside, the mosquitoes and flies left us alone. It's more difficult to tell about fleas and ticks, since they are impossible to spot in the grass, and just as difficult to locate on Kelly's heavily furred body!

Ingredients:
water
polysorbate 20
neem seed oil
pure essential oils of citronella, fir, geranium, rosewood, basil and myrrh
potassium sorbate


Pros:
*Natural product
*Favorably field tested on a variety of dogs
*Safe

Cons:
*Treatment is effective for up to 5 hours. Would have to spray every day (or more) to protect against fleas and ticks all season.

Note: earthheart inc. provided me with a free sample of Buzz Guard in exchange for my honest opinion.

8 comments:

Priscilla said...

Sounds good! I'll check it out when I'm at the pet shop.

Frankie Furter said...

It must smell nice... at least to peeps and pups.

Jennifer @ Bark Of Love said...

Sounds like a product worth checking out. In keeping with the natural theme, I've found soaps with citronella and coconut very effective. And that's saying a lot if you know about corgi fur!

Schnauzer Days said...

Thanks for all the info on the repellants this week. This looks more like what I was hoping to use, I wonder if it's available in the UK? After a vet visit today we were advised to frontline every 4 weeks as we have a bad tick problem this year, not happy with that! Will do some more investigating I think x

Kristine said...

Now this does sound interesting! I like that it works for humans and animals. I am always looking for a good insect repellent. Maybe it would help boost the cat for the brief periods he goes outside. I'll have to look for this, thanks!

Suka said...

Thank you for this information. I have not heard of this product but am very interested as I prefer natural items. I appreciate you doing all the investigative work!

Kelly is such a beauty!

K and Suka

Kolchak Puggle said...

Use a very similar natural product on our boys. When we go into heavily wooded/buggy areas I have a natural dish soap cintronella mix that I use too. All those checmical flea control agents really scare the bejesus out of me.

offtheleashsd said...

Sounds interesting, but I'm curious, is it safe for cats? They have such weird metabolisms and you have to be so careful with products, natural or not.

ShareThis