Monday, June 13, 2011

Tony Award for Theatrical Animal Trainer

Last night theatrical animal trainer Bill Berloni was presented the Tony Honors for Excellence in the Theater.

One of the highlights of my years so far writing for Guideposts magazine was interviewing Bill Berloni and watching him work with animals in NYC. Listening to his story of discovering the adorably scruffy pound pooch who became the original Sandy on the Broadway was enough to make me a huge fan. But, add to that Bill's dedication to rescue work, and I was truly impressed.

Berloni trains dogs for movies, television, commercials and Broadway shows such as Annie, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and Legally Blonde. Once a show's run ends, Berloni's stars live a wonderful life with him on his farm in Connecticut. Currently,he keeps about 40 animals there.

As behavior consultant to the Humane Society of New York, he works with potential adopters to ensure they and the pet are well-matched and that the pet will have a happy and healthy new home.

According to the East Haddam-Haddam (CT) Patch, Bill Berloni commented, "I'm getting this award for excellence in theater through my work with animals. It's not hard to be excellent when I work with those who have an absolute absence of malice, are forgiving and enjoy working in the moment."

Congrats to Bill Berloni on this well-deserved award.

11 comments:

Priscilla said...

There are a lot of interesting sites to check out later. Thanks.

♥I am Holly♥ said...

Congratulations to him!!! I bet watching him work was very entertaining and lots of fun!! Love, Debbie & Holly

Jan said...

When he was young he wanted to be an actor. Strange how life works out. One experience training animal actors and he was hooked for life.

The Yard Bard said...

Wow, neat! My sister would enjoy talking to this guy; she has an incredible talent for working with animals.

I've got something for you on my blog!

Benny and Lily said...

We see some buddy awfully cute sitting on the sofa, BOL
Benny & Lily

Benny and Lily said...

We see some buddy awfully cute sitting on the sofa, BOL
Benny & Lily

Boondocks said...

That's awesome!!! He obviously has a wonderful work ethic.

We nominated you for Inspiring blog award over at our place. Stop by when you can!

AROOOOF!
Boondocks and Kudzu

jen said...

He sounds like a very interesting man! Thanks for sharing!

ps-Leroy did get to play in the fountain...until one squirted up his nose:) wish I had the camera ready for that:)

offtheleashsd said...

I love this guy. I wonder if he could work with my cats?

Pamela said...

I heard an interview with him by Terry Gross on Fresh Air once. It was really interesting to see how he worked his way up learning more and more over time.

K9friend said...

Congrats to him. What a fascinating career!

Pat
www.critteralley.blogspot.com

ShareThis