Monday, July 25, 2011

How to Make Your Own Dog Toys

I've spent a lot of money on dog toys Kelly's shown no interest in. Kind of like that expensive toy you buy your toddler, and then he only wants to play with the box. Sometimes, the simple things are better.

A great website, Wisebread "living large on a small budget" posted 10 DIY dog toys you can make for pennies! These ideas, from Paul Michael, are fantastic!
Here are a few of his great ideas:

SockBall
1. Place a tennis ball inside an old sock.
2. Tie a knot in the sock above the ball

Kitchen Towel Braids
1. Cut a ratty old kitchen towel with two slits, leaving about an inch at the top, so that you have three equal sections.
2. Braid the three sections.
3. Knot the loose ends.

Milk Bottle Madness
1. Take the cap off a plastic milk jug and throw it away.
2. Put about a dozen or so treats inside.
3. Watch your dog try to get them out!

(**Note: I tried this with Kelly and she chewed apart the milk jug, and got off big hunks of plastic. So if you try this, please watch your dog to make sure they don't get pieces of plastic and swallow them.)

To see all 10 great ideas for inexpensive dog toys you can make with items found around the house, see the complete Wisebread article, 10 DIY Dog Toys you can Make for Pennies.

24 comments:

Gloria said...

Cool! I'm gonna ask Mom to make me one of those towel thingies! Puppy Kisses, Miss Mindy

jen said...

Great tips! Those are so easy even I could do it! Thanks for the great link Peggy!

houndstooth said...

Those are some great tips! We've learned to try to get a lot of bang for our buck since Morgan is so tough on toys.

Peggy Frezon said...

@Miss Mindy Let me know which one your mom makes you!

@jen That's what I was thinking for myself, too!

@houndstooth Let me know if they last well with Morgan!

Jan said...

It's always puzzling which toys get played with to death and which ignored. Price has nothing to do with it.

Jess @ Instyledog said...

Great ideas! Our boys fell in love with another dog's "sock bottle" at the dog park the other day. It's exactly what it sounds like: an empty plastic bottle in a tied off sock - I guess it's a variant on the tennis ball in a sock. Love that dogs can be so easy-to-please sometimes!!

♥I am Holly♥ said...

Thanks for the link!! Lots of love, Debbie & Holly

chandra said...

Really love these ideas! Thanks so much for passing them on, I'm definitely going to share them as well!

-Chandra at Daley's Dog Years

SHawnelle said...

Very cool, Peggy! Looks like Kelly is having fun. Wish the boys were there to play!:)

Brian said...

I don't know if we could make our own real toys or not, we're not too coordinated!

Bobbi said...

I really like the milk container one and I'm going to try that! You post some of the greatest ideas and products!! Kelly- you're just as beautiful as ever!! ((((HUGS)))) Gracie and me.

Pup Fan said...

Thanks for the great ideas!

Benny and Lily said...

or moms socks without the ball, BOL
Benny & Lily

Peggy Frezon said...

@Gloria I tried the milk bottle one and just a warning: Kelly chewed up the milk bottle. I had to watch her carefully and take away pieces of chewed up plastic. So if Gracie is likely to do this, please keep an eye on her.

Kristine said...

Thanks for sharing some great ideas! With a destructo dog on my hands, I'd love to learn how to save some money and still have some great fun with my dog.

Life Student said...

As Our Best Friend lives to chase balls, the ball-in-a-sock is an awesome one for him!

Bessie Mac said...

Very neat ideas - thank you for sharing the link!

One word on any toy made with a plastic bottle is to also watch that they don't cut their gums/inside of their mouths!

Peggy Frezon said...

@BessieMac good point about the bottle. One time Kelly shredded a CAN of diet coke into bitty pieces...and somehow didn't cut herself!

Peggy Frezon said...

@Benny and Lily You wouldn't really do that to Mom's socks now, would you?!

offtheleashsd said...

Love these ideas. I've tried these types of toys for my cats, and they seemed to be more successful then the expensive store-bought toys.

Karen Friesecke said...

Great ideas! When Jersey was a baby, she loved playing with empy water bottles with kibble inside.

Kolchak Puggle said...

Neat ideas! I made a tug toy once out of old spandex dance costumes that was fun and springy. Kolchak was mortified and refused to touch it. That Puggle is such snob :)

scarlet reynolds said...

I was browsing the internet for web sites related to Dog Toys and I came across yours. On the other hand, dog toys play an important role in making your dog well behaved and giving him a means to fulfill his playful propensity. Specific types of dog toys are meant to cater to specific needs of dogs.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
A theme like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my blog stand
out. Please let me know where you got your theme.
With thanks

My homepage Registry cleaner software
Also see my page > microsoft registry cleaner

ShareThis