Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Smart Snacking

Can snacks make your dog smarter?

Recently, Kelly and I were sent a sample of Bil Jac Noggin Nuggets to review. The package says that the snacks are "delicious treats for your dog's brain." There's a picture of a border collie on the front, and she looks pretty smart all right!

The treats contain guaranteed amounts of:
* Folic Acid and Vitamin B12 to help nourish the brain
* Vitamins C and E, powerful antioxidant nutrients that help support the immune system
* L-Carnitine to help support brain function

The first five ingredients are:
Chicken, Chicken Liver, Chicken By-product meal, Wheat Flour, and Glycerin.

Kelly has enjoyed Bil Jac treats before, and loves them. And she loved these too! They're small and soft, and a good size for training rewards. Four paws up!

But did they make her smarter? Just for fun, I gave Kelly this test:
I hid her stuffed bunny toy under one of three pillows and timed how long it took her to find it. Then I gave her a Noggin Nugget, and repeated the test with the bunny stuffie under a different pillow.







Results:
Time to find a toy Before Noggin Nugget: Kelly could not locate toy.
Time to find a toy After Noggin Nugget: Kelly still could not locate toy.

Check out this video to see for yourself:

Of course, this categorically proves.....absolutely nothing! (Except that maybe Kelly was more interested in a nap on the comfy pillows than her stuffed bunny.) But we're just kidding anyway. We know that no snack can make any dog instantly brilliant...right?!!

*All opinions are my own. I was provided with one 4 oz bag of Noggin Nuggets for Kelly, in exchange for my honest review.

10 comments:

Brian said...

Hey, most of the time I think any snacking is smart!

♥I am Holly♥ said...

Kelly proved to be very smart by doing exactly what she wanted after snacking...resting on the couch!! Lots of love, Debbie & Holly

Jan said...

Since my dogs can pretty much outsmart me at will, this doesn't have much appeal to me.

Suka said...

hey Kelly,

Those treats look yummy! The real smart thing to do would be to convince your human that the treats are making you smarter, then she will keep feeding them to you! ;->

Suka

Kristine said...

LOL. You are too funny. Maybe if you hid one of the treats under the pillow she would have found it much faster!

Peggy Frezon said...

@Brian me too!

Peggy Frezon said...

@Holly You're right, I guess you could say Kelly is smart by getting her way (she usually does!)and @Jan that's funny, our dogs often outsmart us!

Peggy Frezon said...

@Suka I think you've got the right idea! and @Kristine, I think she could sniff out a treat anywhere!

Kolchak Puggle said...

Ha ha ha! LOVE the toy test!

Chris Kavanagh said...

My jack russell has congestive heart failure, that I've kept at bay for many years through supplementation. So, i tried these treats simply for the nutritional value (L-Carnitine is not only good for the brain, but the heart as well). To my surprise, my dog quit his coughing at night. After the 1st batch, I thought maybe it had been a coincidence, so I tried 'em again. Same great result.

ShareThis