Monday, August 22, 2011

The Best of Dogs and Cats

You may not want to take sides...after all, we're animal lovers and most of us adore both cats and dogs. But recently, Kaylee Thompson wrote The Battle of Dogs vs. Cats for Parade magazine, using scientific facts to help back up which pet is the fastest, strongest, and most clever. Here are some of her results:

Smartest-- Dogs. For communication and trainability, dogs win!
id you know that the average dog can learn about 165 words? Don't forget about Chaser the Border Collie who understands 1000 words!

Cats can learn about 35 words. The smartest cat is the Maine Coon Cat.



















Fastest-Dogs. Greyhounds are capable of running 40 miles per hour. This is not faster than the cheetah, which can run about 65 mph. But since they are not a house pet, they don't count.

Most agile- Cats. Cats have great body control and are much more nimble than most dogs.

Hardest working-- Dogs. Just look at their resumes: guide dogs, police dogs, assistance dogs, therapy dogs, search and rescue dogs, herding dogs, etc!

In your own personal experience, which pet you would nominate for any of these categories- Softest? Most cuddly? Most empathetic? Laziest? Most destructive? Best behaved? Worst behaved? Most devoted?

13 comments:

jet said...

I can do it on the basis of the animals in my household...

Softest? - Mittens (cat), Barbie (dog), Froufrou (cat), Bender (dog) - so that means the cats win

Most cuddly? Froufrou (cat), Bender (dog), Barbie (dog), Mittens (cat)... dogs win that one

Most empathetic? Bender (dog), Barbie (dog), Froufrou (cat), Mittens (cat) ... dogs win

Laziest? Barbie (she is a greyhound), Froufrou, Mittens, Bender.... cats just edge the dogs out on this one

Most destructive? Cats, they destroyed all our furniture!

Best behaved? Dogs

Worst behaved? Cats - they barely listen when I yell at them!

Most devoted? definately the dogs!

Sugar the Golden Retriever said...

Woof! Woof! No Doubt about it. DOGS!!! Yes as a dog I know many words but I only follow/respond to certain words. My favorite is "COOKIE" In regards to cuddling ... dogs are the best too. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

jen said...

I would have to say the Newfs ae "most Devoted" and maybe "most Messiest!"

Jan said...

This may be disloyal, but I have a feeling that my cat is smarter than my dogs. They are trained to do many good behaviors, but the cat just does pretty much what she wants.

If I try to get her to do something, she looks at me like, "Why would I want to do that?"

And I can't give her a good reason.

Benny and Lily said...

So bottom line, we're all good in our own ways
Benny & Lily

24 Paws of Love said...

Do you have a category for most aggravating?? bol My cat Boxer wins hands down!! Although Zappa the dog would be a close second. I do love both cats and dogs, but I think my monies on dogs for all around.

♥I am Holly♥ said...

Great post! Softest would be between Holly the dog and Angel the cat.

Cuddly would have to be Lilly the cat that sticks to me like glue.

Most empathetic----Holly!

Laziest....both cats but they are over 14 years old now so they deserve to be lazy.

Most destructive....Holly when she was a puppy...she ate the couch and pillows on it, the cushions on the seats to the table and countless other things she could get hold to including my laundry, my shoes and my throw rugs! She's much better now that she is grown up!

Smartest....definitely Holly!

Lots of love, Debbie & Holly

Julie said...

Cute post! I love the pics. Softest and most cuddly in my home is definitely Nate the cat. Empathetic and most devoted, Clancy the dog. Laziest, they are both tied for this honor. :)

houndstooth said...

I think a lot of them are a draw, and it depends on the individual cat or dog that you have. I admit, I'm partial to dogs, though!

offtheleashsd said...

Being the proud companion of three cats, I have to say cats are really the best. But I love all animals, so maybe we can just call this one a draw. It's kind of like asking which is better: fudge or hot fudge?

Life Student said...

Just two words: Cats purr. Nuff said.

Kristine said...

My cat is definitely softer than my dog but since he barely tolerates my presence I don't get to enjoy his fluffiness very often. Neither of my animals are very cuddly, come to think of it. They are also not particularly empathetic. Both are lazy and incredibly destructive. How did I end up with such winners? ;-)

But since my dog actually seems to like having me around I will pick her as my favourite.

Pamela said...

I once read a poll that stated that people love cats for their beauty and dogs for their friendship.

I love dogs but I definitely admire cats. I think Honey does too.

ShareThis