Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Owney the Postal Dog

Meet Owney

Facts about Owney:
* terrier mix
* lived in the 1880's in Albany NY
* unofficial mascot of the Railway Mail Service
* traveled across the country with the mail bags and was considered a good luck charm.
* Owney is now honored in a postage stamp.

* postal clerks affixed tags to his collar to document his travels
* Owney had so many tags, the Postmaster General gave him a special harness to hold them all
* You can see photographs of Owney's tags.
* If your dog looks like Owney, you can enter him in an Owney Look Alike Contest! Entrants should "Love to travel...fetch the mail...and be a mutt or adopted." Prizes include an iPad2.

* You can read children's books about Owney: Owney the Mail Pooch by Mona Kerby, and A Lucky Dog by Dirk Wales.

* Owney was preserved, and now can be seen at the National Postal Museum in Washington DC.

* Lots more info, including how Owney on display got a bath, can be found at the Smithsonian National Postal Museum blog.


  1. Now how cool is this! Love it!

  2. Very cool. And what a cutie
    Benny & Lily

  3. I've read a couple of posts about Owney now, and I've really been thinking about trying to get a good photo for that contest. He must have led such a charmed life!

  4. Oh he's soo cute, not to sure if I would like to be stuffed!!!
    Thanks for not forgetting me, you know you have a point I don't think I did have an ice cream on holiday, just how bad is that!!! thanks for pointing it out, Mom owes me big time.
    Have a good week
    Hugs and kisses to Kelly
    See Yea George xxx

  5. That sure is cute and good information!!! Lots of love, Debbie & Holly

  6. I have a reason to buy stamps again. I only buy a whole book if it's animal-themed. I'll have to go to the post office and get some, thanks for the tip.

  7. What a great post! I, embarrassingly, have never heard of Owney, so this was especially interesting to read. Thank you for educating and sharing. What an amazing dog! We are definitely going to be buying Owney stamps!

    Suka and K

  8. I wonder if the post office was more efficient back then, with a dog nipping at their heels.


Kelly and Ike say thank you for your comments!