Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Wednesday Pet Roundup

Hi and welcome to Wednesday Pet Roundup! What do I have for news for you today? Well...I think Kelly's stumped!

* Did you know that dogs help veterans with PTSD? Programs such as Paws for Purple Hearts even recognizes that the training process itself can have a positive effect on veterans. In Psychology Today, Tracy Stecker, phD, explains some reasons why dogs heal PTSD. Including:
Dogs are vigilant
Dogs are protective
Dogs help the veterans remember feelings of love.

* Does your dog get sore paws due to hot pavement? Solution: Protective booties. Summer heat can even give your dog a sunburn! Solution: make sure he wears a t-shirt when you go out for walks. More home remedies for dogs on HowStuffWorks.

* Today online reports on Otto the fat cat, who lost 6 lbs. I know what an accomplishment that is, that's the same amount that Kelly lost. So I'm not belittling the accomplish, but is it me, or does Otto still look just as big? At any rate, you go Otto, keep it up! Dieting isn't easy, but Kelly and I both know it's important.

* Riley the dog and a mud-tracking pig named Reese helped one Facebook fan win a contest sponsored by and a national cleaning company, COIT, promoting their new pet services program. The San Fransisco Chronicle reports that the company specializes in removing pet stains and odors.


  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  2. Hi Peggy-you won the Bocci's Beefs "Monday Musings" give-a-way! if you use Innova, know someone else who does, or would just like to try it for free, just send me your snail mail address and I'll mail it to you.

    By the way, I don't get to your blog nearly enough, and for that I'm sorry-it's my loss:-) I will do better!
    Love your Wednesday round-up of pet news!

  3. I wish we could stand going outside long enough to need protective boots for the pavement! We're lucky to get them out in the grass long enough to take care of necessary business!

  4. @ Benny and Lily Thanks for dropping by and for the compliment, I hope you are having a great you two stay out of trouble, y'hear?!

    @Bocci wow! So excited I won! Happy I got to see your cute face today!

    @houndstooth I hope the weather cools down soon so that you can get outside longer.

  5. Love stories about dogs helping vets. I also love the story about Otto. Having a larger cat, I know how hard it is to get them to lose weight. Thanks for the roundup.

  6. Great post! It gives me updates and reports. By the way, I like the photo.

    Cassy from Electric Guitar Online Lessons

  7. Kelly is such a pretty puppy-- I know my kids would hug her and never let her go. Way to pose, Kelly!

  8. Those booties are a great idea!

  9. We live in Southern California where the heat has been surpassed three digests and my 2 Shih Tzu boys are so over heated that taking them out for walks is sheer torture.

    I tried booties but they won’t tolerate them and putting on t-shirts over their long hair would only make them even hotter. But none of that is a relevant issue because the moment I open the front door, they go scampering to remote corners of the house.

    Due to the intense heat, they are rejecting the walks which they usually love so much. What’s a doggie mother to do but wait till after sundown when everything cools down a bit.

  10. @offleashed I kind of relate to the larger cat attitude...nobody gonna make me move unless I want to. lol

    @Cassy thank you for visiting

    @life student Kelly would love to be hugged by your kids. She loves attention!

    @pup fan if you try booties, send a picture!

  11. @Hanna I feel so bad that your pups can't get outside and enjoy the walks. Even after sundown it sounds like it is probably too much. Do they enjoy a wading pool? I guess there is not much you can do, except extra playtime inside. Hug them for me!


Kelly and Ike say thank you for your comments!