Wednesday, November 30, 2011
* It's cold and flu season and you may be wondering, "Can my dog catch a cold?" From Care2, via PetMD, dogs do suffer from respiratory infections, just different types of viruses than people have. Your dog can't catch your cold, and you won't catch your dog's cold. So now, both of you stay healthy, okay?
* Are we really giving our indoor-only cats what they need? USA Today interviews Pam Johnson-Bennett, author of Think Like a Cat, who offers suggestions for common indoor-cat problems such as using litter boxes, scratching furniture, and jumping. If you want to solve these problems, she says, think like a cat.
* Did you watch the National Dog Show last week? A beautiful Fox Terrier, Irie, won Best in Show. There were also six new breeds in the show, including the Mexican hairless Xoloitzcuintli. The Daily News reports that the dog show host John O'Hurley said, "I started in October to pronounce the dog's name. For three nights in a row I had to go to YouTube to practice it." The correct pronunciation is: show-low-eats-queen-tlee, or show-low for short.
* And now, contest winner time! The winner of ebook Zellwood: A Dog Story by Rebecca Stroud, chosen by Randomizer, is Scrappy! Congratulations Scrappy! Contact me with your email address and we'll get you your prize!
* If you're in the listening area, tune in tonight (Wednesday) to My Doggie Says, KFNX -1100 Phoenix, 8pm MST. Live streaming at www.1100kfnx.com. Thanks to Fred Haney for hosting me to talk about Dieting with my Dog!
* Did you ever hear strange noises, but when you investigate nothing's happening? What are your cats doing when you're not looking?