Monday, January 21, 2013

Mobile App Helps Dogs Get Fit and Healthy

Steve and Jack. Look at Jack now!
 When Steve Pelletier adopted his
7- year-old yellow lab, Jack, the dog weighed 105 lbs. and was on Prozac (for anxiety and hyperactivity) and Rimadyl (pain reliever, often for arthritis). Jack was considered unadoptable- he'd been in the shelter for over a year before Steve and his family took a chance on him and devoted themselves to helping Jack reach a healthy weight.

Steve's story immediately touched me, for several reasons. One, because my husband and I had a yellow lab named Hudson who became obese. At the time, we didn't have the understanding we should about Hudson's diet and activity level. (Because I was then 30 lbs overweight myself, I hadn't made health and fitness a personal priority either.) And second, through my book Dieting with my Dog, I aim to inspire others to become fit and healthy with their pets, too.

If only I'd had Steve's app, SlimDoggy! I would have had a hands on, user friendly tool to guide me through everything I needed to know to help Hudson.

SlimDoggy is a mobile app which helps pet parents fight canine obesity and have happy and healthy dogs. The SlimDoggy App contains a calorie database of about 2,000 dog foods and allows for the tracking of the dog’s activity each day. You can input the amount of food you feed them each day, their activity levels, and SlimDoggy tells you automatically whether you are overfeeding or underfeeding. You never again have to guess how much to feed your dog!

Measuring my dog's food is one of the healthy habits I learned on my journey that helped our next dog after Hudson--our spaniel-mix, Kelly-- achieve success and take off  6 pounds and regain her girlish figure! SlimDoggy encourages pet parents to measure their dog's food as well (they even have a special SlimDoggy measuring cup in their store!)

Jack's tale is a success story. By understanding his dog's individual needs, Steve helped Jack slim down to 85 pounds in 3 months time. Jack is off both medications, and is now a happy and healthy dog– his behavioral problems disappeared as fast as his excess weight! And he loves to run with Steve!

Nearly half the dog in the U.S. are overweight or obese. SlimDoggy App tracks activities by intensity level, daily activity time, activity type, duration and distance, or through GPS. Their database contains dog food, snacks and people food (e.g. bacon) or you can add custom food. An "auto feed” function sets up a normal feeding so that you can set it and forget it.

SlimDoggy is committed to addressing both the dog obesity problem and the dog abandonment problem in the US. They donate a portion of their ongoing revenue to dog rescue organizations.

Like Slimdoggy on Facebook
@Myslimdoggy on twitter
Check out the SlimDoggy blog!

We use SlimDoggy. Here are screen shots from the SlimDoggy accounts I set up for Brooks and Kelly!


  1. I'm extremely impressed together with your writing skills as well as with the format in your weblog. Is that this a paid subject or did you modify it your self? Anyway keep up the excellent high quality writing, it is rare to see a great blog like this one today..

    Here is my web blog :: wordpress lernen

  2. Hello there! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with
    SEO? I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very good success.
    If you know of any please share. Thanks!

    my homepage - nahrungstabelle kohlenhydrate
    My website: glutenfreie Ernährung

  3. I am not sure where you're getting your information, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for fantastic information I was looking for this information for my mission.

    Here is my website - diät ohne kohlehydrate

  4. I think the admin of this web page is really working hard in favor
    of his web site, as here every material is quality based stuff.

    Here is my website :: anlageberatung
    Also see my webpage :: kapitalanlage in wiesbaden

  5. It's awesome to pay a quick visit this web site and reading the views of all colleagues regarding this article, while I am also keen of getting know-how.

    Also visit my homepage :: ertrag wiesbaden

  6. Excellent goods from you, man. I've understand your stuff previous to and you're
    just too magnificent. I really like what you have acquired here,
    certainly like what you're saying and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it sensible. I can't wait to read far more from you.

    This is really a terrific website.

    Here is my web page xx-well diät

  7. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about poor credit mortgage financing.

    my site - paläodiät

  8. This website was... how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I've found something which helped me. Cheers!

    Also visit my webpage steuberater in wiesbaden
    My page - werbungskosten arbeitszimmer

  9. Just wish to say your article is as amazing.
    The clarity on your put up is simply cool and that i can suppose you're a professional on this subject. Fine with your permission let me to clutch your RSS feed to keep up to date with coming near near post. Thanks a million and please keep up the enjoyable work.

    my website :: leichtes abendessen
    my page - diätplan zum abnehmen

  10. My brother suggested I may like this website.
    He used to be entirely right. This submit actually made
    my day. You cann't imagine simply how much time I had spent for this info! Thank you!

    my web blog ... zero carb foods
    Also see my web page - low carb low fat diät

  11. These are truly impressive ideas in on the topic of blogging.
    You have touched some pleasant things here.
    Any way keep up wrinting.

    Have a look at my web-site: pc mikrofon test 2012

  12. Wow that was strange. I just wrote an very long
    comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't appear. Grrrr... well I'm not writing
    all that over again. Regardless, just wanted to say fantastic

    Feel free to visit my web blog - lenkmatten magma

  13. My spouse аnԁ I аbsolutely lovе уour blοg and find many of уouг pοst's to be just what I'm looκing fοг.

    сan you οffеr guеst ωriters
    to wгite cοntent available for yоu? I wouldn't mind creating a post or elaborating on some of the subjects you write concerning here. Again, awesome site! garcinia cambogia - garcinia cambogia - garcinia cambogia garcinia cambogia - garcinia cambogia - garcinia cambogia

    Here is my webpage; garcinia cambogia

  14. When I originаlly commented І cliсked the "Notify me when new comments are added" сheckbοx
    and now eаch time a cоmmеnt
    is adԁed I get fouг е-mailѕ
    wіth the same comment. Iѕ theге any waу you сan rеmoѵе me from that ѕеrviсe?

    my blοg post :: life extension green coffee extract ingredients

  15. Amazing!! Can not believe it yet that mobile app
    can be helps dogs get fit and healthy. Its really a unique invention of our
    latest technology. Thanks

  16. I am ѕure thiѕ poѕt hаs
    touchеd all the іnternet viewers, its really really
    good piеce of wrіting on building up nеw wеbpage.

    Feel free tо visit my ρage: sportsbet

  17. It's nearly impossible to find experienced people on this subject, but you seem like you know what you'rе talκing abоut!

    Here is my blοg poѕt; sportsbet

  18. Amazing!!
    Can not believe it yet that mobile app can be helps dogs get fit and healthy.
    Its really a unique invention of our latest technology. Thanks


Kelly and Ike say thank you for your comments!