Friday, June 7, 2013

K9 Kamp Exercises from K9 Fit Club

Okay all you Kampers, gather around. It's FitDog Friday again. And Coach Kelly has something to say.














Meet our K9Kamp Official Trainers- K9 Fit Club!

Diana Ozimek is the Director of Trainers from K9 Fit Club, the most pawsome gym  in the world, where you can work out with your dog! Diana and K9 Fit Club are not only our Official K9Kamp trainers, but also featured in my forthcoming book, The Dieting with my Dog Guide to Weight Loss and Maintenance (available summer 2013), offering up trainer tips and instructions for fantastic exercises to do with your dog. We have a sneak peak for you today--a guest post from Diana, with one of the exercises from the book!




















Get Fit with a K9 Fit Club Trainer
Guest Post by Diana Ozimek, Director of Trainers at K9 Fit Club

At K9 Fit Club we know how much fun it is to workout with our dogs. Now it’s time for everyone at K9 Kamp to have fun and get all the great benefits of working out with their dogs too! Your dog is your best friend and your best workout partner, they will never cancel on you, are always happy to exercise and it’s just more fun to have them by your side. Working out with your dog will help you become a consistent exerciser and you’ll start seeing the results of your hard work.  Your dog benefits as much as you do.  They will have a stronger bond with you while staying healthy and fit.  Active dogs who live at a healthy weight will avoid health issues and diseases just like we do.  Regular exercise for your dog will also help curb anxiety and negative behavior that can come on when they do not have consistent exercise and training.

Try this exercise to help you lose weight and increase muscle tone.  Have your dog try it with you so they can be healthy and happy too.


Partner Push-Ups*: 

   


















  • Ask your dog to sit or lay down next to you. 
  • When you move into the push up position, it is helpful to hold the leash held in both hands, if your leash is long enough. 
  • Perform 10 push ups keeping your head up in line with your spine and abs pulled tight.
  • At the same time, your pup can do push ups with you! Ask them to rotate between a sit and a down, 3-5 times. 
  • Give lots and lots of praise each time they follow your command!
*Exercises from The Dieting with my Dog Guide to Weight Loss and Maintenance (summer 2013).

Next FitDog Friday co-K9Kamp counselor Kol from Kol's Notes will feature another exercise from Diana, Zeus and K9 Fit Club, so be sure to check it out! And visit K9 Fit Club's website for more information about their gym. If you don't have one in your area, you could even get one started!

Kelly reminds you, there's still time to enter our K9Kamp Rafflecopter for a prize package valued at $200!


Join our FitDog Friday blog hop co-hosted by Peggy’s Pet Place SlimDoggy, and To Dog With Love.


Want pawsitive pet tips, good news, and special bonuses? Content not already on the blog? Subscribe to my free newsletter.  Kelly and I can't wait to see you there!

32 comments:

  1. Hey Peggy, cool to get a preview of some of the exercises in your new book. We agree its always more fun to exercise with your pet. Go K9Kampers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool exercises! I'd love to check out K9 Fit Club next time I'm in Chicago.
    Your pals,
    Diane and Rocco @ To Dog With Love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe one day we can join their Club for an exercise. They are located a bit far from where we live. My mom is my best workout buddy. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, that pibbles is so cute and a big one! This is awesome! I would love to get my boy to work out with me. Hmm wait, I would love the energy to work out myself! haha Very cool tips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to do this... unfortunately I can't seem to tell when she is standing or laying down!! lol... just kidding but Trixie does have dwarfish legs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Inspiring me - will try a few push ups now

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daisy loves doing puppy push ups! Unfortunately, I've got a torn rotator cuff and can't do them but maybe I can do ab crunches while she does her push ups.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry you've got an injury (ouch!) but way to go improvising!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope they went well. It takes a bit of time to get it coordinated but you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. BOL! In the books we'll have some photos of exercises with a little dog too, so you can get some ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you! His name is Zeus, he is pretty handsome! They say you get more energy to work out the more you work out...although I'm usually tired before and after!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Let me know if you get there. Did you know they know have 32 K9Fit Clubs opened in other areas in the country?

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are some located in other states too. I'll have to post a list of where.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sure is more fun. I wish we had a K9 Fit Club near by, but until there is one, we get outside and do what we can!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jan K, Wag N Woof PetsJune 7, 2013 at 4:35 PM

    This is neat....I've never really thought beyond walking/running with my dogs! I plan to add some strength training to my routine soon, so it will be great to see different ways the dogs can join me in that! Come to think of it, when I've done strength training in the past, the dogs always come in the room and want to play, so this just might work out great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pamela | Something WaggingJune 7, 2013 at 5:06 PM

    When I've seen dog yoga classes, I've always wondered how most dogs would respond to the poses. I'm not sure I see calisthenics as Honey's favorite exercise. But I guess I'll have to try and see.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Let me know how it goes! My dog usually flops down on top of my stomach when I'm trying to do sit ups. I think I need to work on that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think part of the fun is just that Honey would get to be with you when you are doing some strength training. At least, that's what Kelly tells me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do yoga with my mom...it's fun!!

    Wyatt

    ReplyDelete
  20. you are in point of fact a excellent webmaster. The site loading pace is incredible.
    It sort of feels that you are doing any unique trick.
    Moreover, The contents are masterpiece. you've done a wonderful job on this topic!


    http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=blogspot/hackthedevil

    ReplyDelete
  21. Way to go Wyatt! I'd love to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Parenting FurkidsJune 9, 2013 at 2:47 AM

    Vlad's still not been cleared for heavy-duty exercise (giant breed's need special time for proper joint development) that goes past walking on a leash, so I've been walking him extra each day this past month to try to start building on his muscle mass for once he's cleared for running, chase, fetch, etc. Hoping he gets cleared for a backpack and a few water bottles soon, but until then, we'll walk our legs off 5x a day for at least 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. with the hurricane rains, the past few days, we have had to play ball and catch inside....playing kickball in the halls and throwing frizbees in the living room

    ReplyDelete
  24. Different services can help you find the perfect place
    for you and advice you what to do to reach it.
    With school books, notebooks, computers, video games, cell phones (not to mention
    snacks and water bottles), all having become "must have" items.

    You will want to check out the belt to the backpack carrier to see if it is long enough
    to adjust for your comfort.

    Also visit my web page northface backpack ()

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sissy and I extended our walk by 3/4 a mile every day. We have been going the "long" route twice a day now.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Way to go Danielle and Sissy! Kudos to you for doing so well on K9Kamp!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey Sandy you get the prize for improvising in less than desirable weather conditions! Thanks for hanging in there at K9Kamp!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I sure hope Vlad keeps improving and feeling better soon. Keep me posted. Great job on the walks. Give Vlad a hug from me!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm not sure why but this web site is loading very slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a issue on my end? I'll check back later on and see if the problem still exists.


    Look at my weblog: Weight Loss Food

    ReplyDelete
  30. Parenting FurkidsJune 10, 2013 at 11:02 AM

    Thank you, Peggy! We had another vet-visit when we got back from vacation last week, but he still won't think about doing more than letting Vlad walk until he's 2--next January. He says there's just too much risk involved in messing up a giant breed's joints (causing need for surgery and permanent joint disease afterward) when they're young. But I'm going to hit him up about backpacks in a couple of months. I've not brought backpacks up at all yet, so we'll see once he's officially 18 mths old.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oooooh...you are writing a new book...can't wait :) I don't do gym-type workouts with Chester and Gretel but they do love to try to sit in my lap when I sit on the floor to stretch :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sissy and I went down to the lake every other day. It is a few miles there and back and up a very steep hill.

    ReplyDelete

Kelly and Ike say thank you for your comments!

ShareThis