Friday, July 26, 2013

FitDog Friday Mini Challenge and Slimdoggy

This month we're participating in the first Keeping up with K9 Kamp mini challenge, hosted by Chester and Gretel at YDWWYW. The challenge was to determine if we were feeding our dog the right amount of food.

Kelly checks out the fridge for something good!

          Even though our vet discussed with us how much to feed Kelly several years ago, things have changed since then. Kelly's older, less active, and other circumstances influence how much food she needs to stay healthy and not gain weight. We know from experience that when we've slipped and not paid attention to this, Kelly has put on a few pounds.

We used Slimdoggy app to find out how many calories Kelly should be eating.

I entered Kelly's current weight (32) and desired weight (32). Kelly is presently at, or just under, her desired weight. Since she is a mixed breed there is no specific standard weight, but according to the vet she is at a healthy weight.

I then entered her activity level. I chose Low Intensity. Although we do take two walks a day and romps in the back yard, Kelly is a senior and does a lot of sleeping!

The app indicated that we should feed Kelly 694 calories/day. I was surprised at the results, because this is actually more than the 1-1/2 cups of premium dog food that we feed her daily (3/4 cup twice a day). However she does make up for it in veggies and several healthy treats used for training and rewards. And since she has worked hard to slim down (from 42 lbs) and keep her weight off, I feel as if we are probably feeding the proper amount. Sometimes she does pester me for more food late at night, so I give her a small amount, what we call second dinner. This usually satisfies her.

As suspected, most of the treats I feed Kelly don't list calories. I was surprised at the suggested serving size. For instance, I have some jerky treats (made in the USA) that are certainly not small--about 6 inches long by 2 inches wide--suggest that I give a medium size dog such as Kelly 4 jerky treats a day! I can imagine that this would be a lot of calories! 

I may try to increase the amount of her feedings slightly, while keeping tabs on her weight, to see if I can give her more calories without her gaining weight.

Here are some samples of the Slimdoggy app pages:

Thank you Slimdoggy for the great app!
FitDog Friday is hosted by Peggy's Pet Place, Slimdoggy, and To Dog with Love.
Join the blog hop!


  1. The serving sizes on the packaging are crazy, aren't they??

  2. Feeding my dog right has just become an issue again for us. Scooter has crept up in weight & his exercise routine has changed due to a recent injury. Will be looking at the SlimDoggy App to see how we can feed the correct amounts for all these recent changes......

  3. Pamela | Something WaggingJuly 26, 2013 at 9:24 AM

    I'm quite frustrated by the fact that I have to work to make sure Honey's getting enough calories while I'm doing the same things she's doing (and more when she's asleep) without losing a pound.

    But our friends at Slim Doggy and Jodi from Kol's Notes have reminded me to keep the calories up on a more active day. I usually give Honey a mid-day snack. If we had an active morning, I'll give her half a can of dog food. If we did less, she just gets some dried sweet potatoes.

    Glad to see that Kelly has been maintaining her weight since she slimmed down. You must be keeping a good eye on her.

  4. That app is amazing! We are really surprised by how accurate it is but like you, many of our snacks are not listed. Those package serving sizes are sooo off! I think they just want to sell more product. We never pay attention to the package, just feed what we think is right and if our fur starts getting tight...time to get more exercise and less snacks but us dogs have thankfully never been overweight.

  5. Hi Y'all!
    Great info. Thanks. By the way, I eat twice a day, breakfast and supper plus home baked treats. I depend on my activity level to maintain a healthy weight. I don't want my Human to be chastised when I weigh in at my check-ups.
    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

  6. Your human certainly knows how to keep you fit, Hawk!

  7. It's hard to tell when you've gone up a few ounces or pounds, so we try to weigh in frequently. Yet, as you say, what's more important than numbers is how you look in your, fur.

  8. Honey must be blessed with a strong metabolism, one of those tall, slim blondes we all envied in high school. I wish she'd teach me a secret to staying slim! You're doing a great job keeping her fit and well-fed.

  9. Let me know how it goes. Steve at Slimdoggy always makes the point about adjusting the feeding when you're off your routine due to injury, or age, or other circumstances. I hope you find the right amount.

  10. Yeah, I think I'd be feeding my dog half a bag a day!

  11. The Slim Doggy app does make it easy to figure out a good feeding regimen. Giz had put on a couple of pounds when i switched to a higher value food a few years back, but by adjusting portion size we got that under control quickly and he's maintained his healthy weight since then

  12. I continue to battle with this as Titan is working to shed a few pounds. There's no way I can go by what his bag of food says. He'd be waddling around and very not healthy. At our last nail visit, I talked to my vet about the amount I was feeding him and her opinions. She agreed we were doing well between the food and the treats (which we are cutting back on). The calories wasn't listed on Titan's kibble bag so I did contact them and they gladly shared the info along. I continue to watch what he eats and how much but sometimes I'm just a sucker to those pouting eyes. :)

  13. First of all, we love that picture of Kelly at the fridge. We wouldn't be able to take a similar one of Jack as he would probably just dive right in.

    Second, thanks for the shout out on our app. We are glad that it is helping people figure out serving amounts. The dog food labels just don't cut it and treats are a big culprit if they are not accounted for.

  14. Thanks for the peek at the SlimDoggy app. Since I don't have an iPhone, I have never seen it. Thanks for completing the challenge too. I know that some people are diligent about their dog's weigh and keep them healthy. I still think it is a good idea to do some math once in a while to check in and make sure you haven't gotten off track with the feeding.

  15. Kolchak gets a "second dinner" sometimes too, usually on the days we've been particularly active. It's like the gift the day gave him and he gets so excited. It's kind of adorable.

    I'm impressed by that adorable picture of Kelly. LOL - Kol would be in there snacking before I could snap a single shot!


Kelly and Ike say thank you for your comments!