Friday, March 7, 2014

Does your dog spend more time sleeping or playing?



















Kelly wakes up in the morning, has breakfast, and then settles down for a nice nap. After a few hours laying around the house, she's ready for another nap. We go out for our midday walk and, you guessed it--she comes in and naps again. Sometimes I worry that Kelly sleeps too much. Then again, I remind myself, she's 12. An old lady. She's earned those naps.

Then, we got Ike. He's only 8. And he naps a lot too!




















So I did a little research and discovered that the average dog sleeps 12-14 hours a day. This put my mind at ease a bit. The question I ask myself, however: are the dogs sleeping more out of boredom, or because they're really tired? Since I work from home, and often I'm on deadline, I could sit at my desk all day and never get up. But that wouldn't be good for me or good for the dogs. So I try to make it a habit to get up and moving every few hours. We take our midday walk. Sometimes I really don't want to do it, but I know how much they love it. The only times I've skipped it recently are when it's below zero, or when it's pouring rain. (I'm sorry, dogs, but I'm just not that nice!)

Other times I throw the tennis ball--inside and outside. Ike is always up for a game of fetch but sometimes I have to generate enthusiasm to convince Kelly. I shout, "Get it, get it, get it!" and chase after it myself. This is good exercise for me. Kelly doesn't fall for it.





















It's tempting to be lazy and not exercise. Some of us (like me!) have to force ourselves to get active because we know it's good for us. It's a little easier to do because I know it's good for the dogs. Their joy and vigor when they're running and playing shows me that it's worth the effort.

When my husband was well, we walked the dogs together in the evening. It was a great way to unwind, and so much more conducive to chatting about our days than sitting in front of the television. When he is feeling better, I'm sure we'll resume those walks.

Does your dog sleep more or play more during the day?










 

FitDog Friday is co-hosted by Peggy's Pet Place, Slimdoggy, and To Dog with Love. Join our hop!


Want more positive pet tips, good news, and special offers? Fetch my free newsletter, Pawsitively Pets. Kelly and Ike hope to see you there!

25 comments:

  1. If I didn't force Wilhelm (who is only 6) to get off the bed, couch or chair, he would sleep for 22 hours a day- one hour for eating and one for chase and/or tugging. Huxley and Brychwyn however would never sleep if we didn't put them to bed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We sleep, go for a long walk, eat, sleep, go for another walk, sleep again, play in the yard, go for our third walk, eat and sleep. In the evenings we play in the yard together a lot. We sleep more than anything, but we are pretty active when we are up. We are trained to sleep after eating to prevent bloat. That is very important at out house as most dogs want to go wild after eating but we all go and take a nice quiet nap for at least an hour. Hope you are doing well and things are going okay for your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sleep wins in a landslide. That said, our dogs get plenty of exercise. Maybe that is why they sleep so much ;-)


    -Slimdoggy

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so smart to train your dogs to sleep after eating to prevent bloat. I never even thought of training for that. Thanks for dropping by today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yup, Slimdoggies are super athletes...and getting rest helps restore those muscles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I imagine it might change as Rocco gets older, but now he plays more than he sleeps…. at least it seems that way. However, if he won't settle down and I need to get things done, I can put him in his crate and he automatically settles down and naps. It's a wonderful thing!
    Diane and Rocco

    ReplyDelete
  7. Play hard, Sleep hard! As long as they are getting their exercise naps are great to restore the body! Kelly looks great for 12 and Ike for 8, like you said they deserve those naps :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It depends, a lot of the time I am bored and just laying around and not sleeping, that makes mom guilty, or I'll drive her nuts squeaking a toy so she knows when I need exercise. This winter has been very hard and she admits that it was her fault for not doing things not mine, but we do take a lot of walks. Love DOlly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nailah isn't much of a sleeper. She'll try to get a nap in every so often but if I make even the slightest movement she'll bolt up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Coco sleeps most of the day, but once 3:00 hits, she's ready to play and doesn't stop unto around 9:00 pm or so! We try to play with her as much as possible, but if we don't she'll keep herself busy! What a great topic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tenacious Little TerrierMarch 7, 2014 at 7:01 PM

    Onyxx sleeps most of the time. Mr. N likes naps but he's always happy to do something.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rita sleeps a lot! Like you I could sit at the PC all day. Thanks for the reminder that I need to get up,and move around, and that I should involve Rita in that! Hope your hubby is up for nightly walks again soon. Mine is also not up for those now because of his knees. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Y'all!

    I eat breakfast and immediately want to go out for my second walk of the day. Once outside, I race around at full speed. Back inside I'm at my Humans side every moment she's home. I nap when she's working, but if she moves, I'm at her side. If she's working at home all day, we take a mid-day break to race around outside for awhile. Supper time I again go out immediately after completing my meal and we take a long walk. Inside again i follow my Human around until my bedtime walk and then everyone settles down for the night.

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Dolly, I feel the same as your mom. I feel guilty if I don't take the dogs out for their walks as often as they'd like. But it's good for all of us!! I can't wait for the nicer weather so we can get outside more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like your schedule, Hawk!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks! Those nightly walks will come again. And I hope your Mike is feeling better soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Naps are nice! Hug Onyxx and Mr. N from me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I bet that your evenings are busy then! Coco sounds like a lot of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nailah knows that you're where the fun is!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like your slogan, play hard, sleep hard. It applies to the dogs as well as ourselves. You're right, Kelly is doing well for 12. Ike is not quite as agile but he loves to walk and run. I hope you're having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You and Rocco have a system! I bet Rocco keeps your day exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Toby sleeps a lot during the day but does get a long walk just about every day (except if it is raining). We all move around more on days when the weather is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jan K, Wag N Woof PetsMarch 8, 2014 at 3:48 PM

    You do great...it is so easy to be lazy and not exercise, and I for one have to constantly work at keeping motivated. Once in a while I let myself give in to the laziness (especially with bad weather as you said) but I have to be careful not to let it become a habit. I work 6 hour days 3 days a week outside the home and I assume the dogs are sleeping during that time. The puppy especially is raring to go when I get home but all the dogs usually collapse soon after supper. So that is still a lot of sleeping time for them. The days I am home they nap off and on but spend a lot of time outside just hanging around too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am only 6, and I naps a lot too. I can't read or turn the tv on, so I'll nap instead he he. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am a little late to this post, but I thought I would stop in to comment. I have a 7-year-old Peekapoo, and all he ever wants to do is sleep. He plays every once in a while and sometimes throws his bones around and chases them, but he loves to just lay in bed and be lazy.


    I was a little worried about this at first because...don't dogs take on the lifestyle of their owners? :/ But the vet told me this was normal.

    ReplyDelete

Kelly and Ike say thank you for your comments!

ShareThis