Okay, they don't always get that one right.
And then there's food. You want to choose the right food for your particular dog. And if you have a small dog, you wouldn't choose the same food as you do for a dog like, say, Ike. So what do you consider when choosing a food for your small breed dog?
1. Kibble size – Kibble size is one of the most common differences between small breed and regular pet foods. Small dogs have smaller mouths and often have trouble eating a larger kibble.
2. Protein and fat – Small dogs require extra nutrients to meet their needs, it’s important to choose a small breed dog food that has higher levels of protein and fat than ordinary dog food.
3. Ingredients – Like all dogs, small dogs should be fed a formula with high-quality ingredients including a good quality protein.
4. Price –High-quality formula specific pet foods can be pricey. It's important to find the most affordable option that meets your needs.
5. Picky eaters – Many small dogs are picky eaters, which can be harmful to their health. Small dogs have a faster metabolism and need regular calories to keep them healthy--meaning skipping or only picking at meals is not an option.
Now, what can you do about this? One great option is new Taste of the Wild Appalachian Valley (TM) Small Breed Canine Formula with Venison and Garbanzo Bean.
It features a smaller kibble size to make chewing and digestion easier for small mouths. It also is formulated to meet the needs of small dogs by offering a diet that is more energy dense with higher protein and fat ratios. It's first ingredient is venison, offering pet owners a unique, lean protein source that is highly digestible and heart-healthy.
The Appalachian Valley formula offers higher protein and fat levels, which allows finicky dogs to eat smaller portions and still meet their nutritional needs. It includes tasty ingredients like real meat, garbanzo beans and peas.
And all Taste of the Wild formulas are grain-free.
If you have a small dog, consider checking out Taste of the Wild Appalachian Valley.
Now how about a giveaway?! Enter here to win some Taste of the Wild samples, a dog car seat organizer, Little Dogs activity book, scoop and bandanna.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
* FULL DISCLOSURE: I am being compensated for spreading the word about Taste of the Wild and also provided with Taste of the Wild samples, a dog car seat organizer, Little Dogs activity book, scoop and bandanna to give away. The Writer's Dog only shares information we feel is relevant to our readers. Taste of the Wild is not responsible for the content of this post.