Monday, March 20, 2017

Goodbye, Ike. Run Free.

It is with the deepest sadness that I have to share that we had to say goodbye to Ike on Saturday. He was 10 years old. He was a good boy.



Ike's Purpose
Ike had many jobs to do here on earth, and he did them all without us asking. We adopted him when he was seven years old, and he knew that in order to stay with us, his first job was to get along with Kelly, our bossy female spaniel. From the start he was a gentleman and always let her have her way.

His next job was to help my husband Mike recover from a life-threatening illness. When Mike came home from the hospital after 41 days, Ike provided TLC, the most powerful medicine around, especially when administered by a warm and furry canine companion.

On a daily basis, he kept me company as I worked from home, and was the best office-mate ever. Then he became a certified therapy dog, giving unconditional love to all he met.

Finally, as our 16-year old Kelly became blind, deaf and in the throes of dementia, he stepped in and guided her every step, slept beside her, and became her therapy dog. Kelly-the-boss-dog depended upon Ike's gentle support.

But most of all, the job he did best--and the job he loved the most--was walking with us, sitting beside us, letting us scratch his ears, and just being with us. And oh, he was so good at it.

Run free, Ike
Crossed over rainbow bridge March 18, 2017 (10 yrs old)
Ike died of hemangiosarcoma--a ruptured bleeding tumor on his spleen. This article calls it "the silent killer."
Here are some pictures of Ike doing what he did best--loving us every day.






17 comments:

  1. My heart broke when I heard the news on Saturday. The sudden, unexpected losses are the hardest. My Angel Tara had the same thing, and from what I understand it's very rare in cats although common in dogs. After the tumor was discovered I lived in fear that it would burst but the heart failure took her first. Sending comforting and healing thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so heartbroken for you. This was such a sudden tragedy and I don't there's anything that hurts like the loss of an amazing companion like your Ike. I know you will cherish each and every memory and some day, those memories will take the place of the grief you are suffering right now. God bless you and Mike and Kelly as you go through this tough time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, we are so so sorry. Run free sweetheart
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh, I'm so sorry Peggy. :( I know how hard it is to say goodbye to a beloved furchild. May you be able to cherish the memories and not allow the grief to consume you.

    Bren @ Pibbles & Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very sorry for your loss. Sending you love and healing thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear about Ike. I am sure that his years with you were some of his favorite ones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH MY... We are SOOOOOOO Sorry to hear this about Ike. He was so YOUNG... We are SAD SAD SAD. This is a beautiful tribute to such a Fine Furend.
    Run Free and Fast Ike... until we meet again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am so so very sorry. this is so hard especially after Sugar passed away last week. he was a beautiful boy and did not live nearly long enough. how wonderful of him to be the guide dog to Kelly. what a beautiful and loving face.please accept my deepest sympathies for your loss. i know words cant even heal your broken heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear about Ike beginning his journey to the Bridge. I know you have a lot of wonderful memories that he left behind to help you through all the bad days. I'll include Ike in the March edition of 'Our Rainbow Friends'.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Peggy and family, So sorry to read about Ike. We will all miss your wonderful boy. He will have a special place forever in your heart. Our sympathy and our prayers to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So very sorry for your loss. He truly was a good boy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry for your loss. Ike was a beautiful boy. There nothing like the love of a great Golden ❤

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I'm so sorry. I'm in shock. First Sugar, just a couple of days before, and now Ike. The Rainbow Bridge has some extra special new additions.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If is one of the hardest things to go thru...the passing of our beloved dogs. They are family and they give that unconditional love that we need everyday. I often ask God when we lost our beloved dog Murphy of a twisted stomach. Why God have our wonderful family animal member have such a short lives..why can't they live longer...why for ever year it is 7 years for them. You put us thru so much pain and heartache...I know they leave memories and leave their paw prints on our heart for a life time. We have other animals that lives a long time like a parrot, whale, and why to our dog? I am so sorry for your loss of Ike..Ike has left you with lots of memories and laughter along with the cuddles.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so very sorry for your loss. It's extra hard when it's so sudden. Hemangiosarcoma is a terrible, terrible thing. We lost our lab Cody to it back in 1999. Ike was a very good boy. Thank you for giving him such a perfect home and for letting him express his gifts. XO

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry for your loss. We lost our Boston suddenly one night, I know how hard it can be.

    ReplyDelete

Kelly and Ike say thank you for your comments!

ShareThis